“The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.” ~ Chamfort
“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life’s realities.”
~ Dr. Seuss
“Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves for we shall never cease to be amused.”~ Unknown
With our lives full of deadlines and responsibilities, it’s important to take time out of our busy, stressful days to see the lighter side of life. Taking time with our friends, partners, children, or even pets to play and laugh is just as important as getting that jog in before dark or that load of laundry in before bed. Below I break down 5 reasons why we all need to take the time to laugh more:
1) It makes you feel good – Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
2) It relieves stress – Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
3) It helps you see things differently – Humor shifts perspective, allowing you to see situations in a more realistic, less threatening light. A humorous perspective creates psychological distance, which can help you avoid feeling overwhelmed.
4) It blocks negative emotions – Laughter dissolves distressing emotions. You cannot experience emotional distress and emotional uplift at the same time – when you are experiencing mirth, you are not experiencing depression, anxiety, anger, or even fear.
5) It builds relationships – Mutual laughter and play are an essential component of strong, healthy relationships. By making a conscious effort to incorporate more humor and play into your daily interactions, you can improve the quality of your love relationships— as well as your connections with co-workers, family members, and friends.
Bonus – Like yawning, laughter is contagious; the laugher of others is irresistible. Just think of how you feel when you hear a small child laughing.
5 Ways we can laugh more:
♦ Watch a funny movie or TV show – TV shows that give me a laugh are Friends, Frasier, How I Met Your Mother, and Modern Family. What are your favorites?
♦ Go to a comedy club – Jerry Seinfeld on the real rulers of the planet, “Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge.”
♦ Seek out funny people.
♦ Play with a pet or be goofy with a child
♦ Read the funny pages
Tell me your favorite ways to create laughter in your life. Leave your comments below. Thank you for visiting.
Sources for this post: http://www.helpguide.org